Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Feb 13th- My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun

I chose to write about the poem "my mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun.
I really enjoyed this poem, and it seems weird that I like it so much because it's a man talking about how his girlfriend is really not that great, she could be better.
I guess I took it as the man was saying you don't choose the one you love. In a lot of relationships, outsiders don't realize what the person sees in the other, but the people in that relationship completely understand. They may not think their significant other is the most attractive or interesting person they have ever met but they love them despite their downfalls. I think that is what the author is trying to say. Toward to beggining of the poem he talks about how her lips are not as red as coral, and her skin is not fair, and she doesn't have pretty hair, but at the end of the poem he confesses that his love is rare, and real. I feel like he wrote this poem to tell his girlfriend that he loves her no matter what she looks like or lacks in any way, because their love is not surface deep, its real and its not going to be thrown away because there are things that aren't perfect about her.

No comments: