Monday, March 10, 2008

"Cask of Amontillado" March 6th

I really enjoyed this story. At first I didn't understand exactly what was going on but I came to find out through class what was going on. To summarize, the main character had some animosity towards the other character and was planning on killing him for revenge. We never know exactly what the guy does to the main character but I guess if death is necessary than it was a pretty bad thing he did. So he plans to kill him by leading him down into the Catacombs and walling him in. I think this story has a lot of Irony in it because he's killing him in a dark place where death is frequent. The ironic thing however is that he is walling him in alive. The setting here is very important because at the end of the story he says that no one has disturbed his resting place, if it was anywhere else someone would probably happen upon him. I don't exactly know why I liked the story, probably because it was kind of dark and scary, but also because the main character was very munipulative, he would use reverse psychology in order to lure the other man down in the catacombs by telling him his health is too important and he wouldn't want him to get sick from being down there. I just overall really enjoyed the story.

No comments: